Tuesday, April 21, 2020

I'm getting there

E-ventually



Yes, Ds are almost done.  However, when I was pulling out the boxes for this photo, a couple more D's made their way into the stack.    Both involve diamonds.

Diamond 4-Patch
I think this is a Fons and Porter pattern.  These blocks are left over from a coffee-themed wheelchair quilt I made for a friend.  I started this next project when I was in my "modern" phase.

Diamonds are Forever a/k/a Boomerang
The D4Ps will go into the Parts Department and Boomerang will go back into UFOland until I'm in the mood to work with diamonds again.  So, let's take a look at my options in E-land.

Enchanted Garden (a/k/a Give Peas a Chance) was started in a workshop with Cindy Williams, the Math Whisperer.

Enchanted Garden
I have always been "enchanted" by optical illusions and really wanted to push through this experience.  However, what doesn't show in the above photo is a minor flaw in the two sections.


One identical section is a full 1/2" to 3/4" bigger!  Stitched on the same machine, two days apart.  The only difference is I paid more attention to pressing the second day and used Best Press.  I have come up with a way to use the quadrants I have finished, but I really want to give the project a second chance.  I have pieces for the other two quadrants already cut and probably enough fabric to make another section.  This Project will go into time out until another retreat with Cindy in September.

Exploding Pineapple is a fun technique.  I started this project to use up some unloved 30s/40s type fabrics.


The problem is I don't love the blocks, either.  The pineapple effect is lost in all the busy patterns of the prints.

So I added some solids to the mix.


Still not perfect, but since my husband seemed to like what I have on the design wall, This will become my leader/ender while I work on finishing ...

Eventide.

Eventide
This is a Miss Rosie's Quilt Company pattern.  I saw several people working on it in blogs a couple of years ago and fell in love with the vertical lines of red squares.  I wasn't happy with some of my fabric choices, especially that one light big star, so stopped before adding the final rows of stars on either side.


I have most of the missing blocks cut and even though I'm not thrilled with the "squareness" they will add to the finished dimension, I'm back in love with the project because I have a place to use it.  So Eventide will be the next project to come out of the box.


8 comments:

  1. Hooray for Eventide, winner of the great escape from UFO Land!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your E's! Just glancing at Exploding Pineapples I'm reminded of the popular Meadowland quilt pattern. I love Eventide even with your disliked light star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so organized! I'm impressed that your projects are all in boxes and named! You sure have some pretties here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look like fun projects! If you want to move the 30's pineapple project along, what about considering plain diamond-in-a-square alternate blocks? or hourglass alternate blocks? or appliqued circle alternate blocks? You get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fun to see what you're pulling out for the E projects, Libby! Eventide is beautiful! When all is said and done, and someone is using that quilt, I bet you'll never notice the light colored star that is bothering you now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have me thinking I should alphabetize my WIPs. I really need to pull them all out and label like you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before I forget, so happy you had a good checkup.
    Wow, what a great post Libby displaying all your projects. And what wonderful projects they are. I definitely would not have seen whatever was amiss in your optical illusion piece, that's for sure.
    I'm with Wanda, what a great idea to alphabetize your projects..so organized.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.