Wednesday, April 15, 2020

S is for Serendipity

I'll get back to D soon, I promise!

Just so you know, I have been trying to sew and have made considerable progress on Dots and Dashes.  Terrible photo, I know, but this is the final arrangement.  I have 4 or 5 more rows to re-press  and square the blocks.  But it seems like for every step forward I make two back.


So I thought I'd tell you a little story of serendipity, prompted by a request of my sister-in-law.

I was married (and divorced) before I met my current Main Man.  In  little over 12 years we lived in Maryland, Tennessee, Georgia (4 homes), Arkansas (6 months) and Kansas.   Which probably contributed to the breakup ...

I have never baked much, then or now, but one of our favorite scratch cakes in my first marriage was a recipe I found in the "Nashville Seasons" cookbook, published by the Junior League, if I remember correctly.  It starts with a custard, rather than creaming butter and sugar as usual.  It is SO moist!

Well, sister-in-law requested I send her a copy of the recipe today as she has misplaced her cookbook so I got out mine to photocopy.


Do you see who submitted that recipe?  Alex's grandmother!  I had been baking his family's favorite chocolate cake long before I met him!!  My mother pointed this out to me over 40 years ago; looking at the recipe today reminded me of my good fortune -- delicious cake and a fabulous husband.

Now I feel the urge to make a chocolate cake ...

6 comments:

  1. Had you never noticed before whose recipe it was? That is pretty neat! And your churn dashes look great, Libby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wild! And it does sound like a good cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great story! And that looks like a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! It sounds like a delicious cake recipe, too. I've wanted to bake while in isolation and have only made a couple of things. This may have to be next on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool!!! And sounds like a yummy cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story - you were meant to find Alex! Some of the best recipes are in old church- and junior league-type cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.