Sunday, April 19, 2020

Sunday Scrap Status

Spring has sprung

I felt like a slug last week, just couldn't get any momentum going.  First, it was unseasonably cold most days with morning frost, so that precluded my working in the yard for my 1-hour-per-day goal. And one day was broken up by a drive to Oak Ridge for a follow-up ultrasound on my thyroid (all is well!).  The week was also interrupted by the Big Seven Five.  I think I may have been depressed that we couldn't gather the family to celebrate.

I did move a few scrappy projects forward, though.  I settled on a final arrangement for Dots and Dashes.

Dots and Dashes
This is a long-time UFO that uses a collection of pastel florals I had accumulated over time.  I have one more row to assemble, then I can attack the long seams between rows.  Since I had made some new, fresher blocks to perk up D&D, I pondered what to do with the rejects that are mainly non-floral.


I have enough blocks to make a nice baby quilt with a London lawn border.  I am finding baby quilts give me quick satisfaction of accomplishment.  Plus, just how many full-size quilts do I need?

Speaking of which, I finished this baby quilt last week.

Crazy Cats
The cats panel was in my stash and I used scrap strips to frame them.  I also used leftover bits for the border and binding.

And, finally, I eeked out a Rainbow Scrap Challenge block in light blue.


On Saturday we drove to a garden center in Pikeville to pick up a couple of hanging baskets to brighten our front entrance.  I had to do something to distract from the destruction in the landscape caused by the roofers.

Happy Birthday to me!
Linking with Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework.

8 comments:

  1. I bet it was nice to get the plants. I love that so many are offering curbside pick up - at least that way they put the items in your trunk, you pay in advance and limited contact! I haven't bought any bedding plants and keep thinking about doing so but I always like to pick those out myself - I might just skip it this year but haven't decided. I love your quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your baby quilt with the pastels and London lawn border is going to be beautiful. I love that border fabric, which is so unlike what I usually like. You've made a lot of progress this week! And did I read correctly... you had a big birthday this week? Happy Birthday, Libby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Libby!! Congrats on making some progress on your list of projects this week (in spite of being in a funk.) Keep in mind that another birthday just means that you are on the up side of the dirt! I know you and know that you are at heart. Keep on keeping on, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday!!! Sending you a big (at a safe distance) hug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Maybe you can celebrate in a few weeks with family.
    Your D&D looks beautiful, and I'm sending encouragement for sewing those long rows.
    Pretty baskets! I keep seeing some I like at Home Depot and Lowe's but haven't decided on one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Libby! That is definitely one that should be celebrated with family - so very sorry that you couldn't. Dots and Dashes is really coming along! I'm impressed that you had enough extra blocks to make a whole baby quilt out of! Wishing you warm, sunny days this week! We are supposed to get some, too - after 11 inches of snow last Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! I had one too last week, the big 6-5. (Yay, Medicare, now Gary can retire because he doesn't have to work for insurance for me anymore.) Your plants look lovely. Your Dots and Dashes is really coming along, and I like the concept for the baby quilt with the leftover blocks. I agree with you, baby quilts are satisfying to make, and we only need so many big quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to you! I'm raising a toast from a safe distance. It must have been strange to go to the clinic for the checkup. Do they have many Covid patients? . . . Your quilt blocks are positively dashing. On-point settings have such energy! I piece leftover blocks into quilt backs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.