Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Resurrecting a UFO

Is that the same as chasing a Squirrel?

Y'all already know I am incorrigible.  A little bit (or maybe a lot) OCD.  Capable of multitasking.  A great procrastinator.  Lazy to a fault -- wait, that doesn't fit with the rest - but it's true.  Especially lazy about things I don't want to do -- like call my insurance carrier about some coverage, or write a check for my Target bill, or call someone I don't know ...

Anyway, I had great plans to work on borders yesterday.  I mean, how hard can that be?  Cut four (well, maybe six or eight) strips of fabric and sew four seams -- four very long seams with lots of pinning involved ...

Put that in the category of Things I Don't Want To Do.

So my alternative was to pull out a very old UFO and determine my status.   To be honest, I had a reason.  There is a new Quilt Along for Gypsy Wife (now closed to any new members), and I thought this would be a great opportunity to wrap up this UFO.

Gypsy Wife - status as of 2/25/19
I had started working on another Jen Kingwell pattern, Long Time Gone, sometime in 2017 when I saw a lot of chatter on line about another of her patterns, Gypsy Wife.  It looked to me like an assortment of blocks in many sizes strewn across a bunch of strips of fabric.  I needed something to occupy my time that August while helping my SIL between her cataract surgeries, so I started making random blocks in various sizes.


I received the pattern as a Christmas gift in 2017 and started assembly in January 2018.  It had not been out of the box again until Sunday.  Imagine my joy when I discovered I had already completed Section One, the QAL assignment for February!

Gypsy Wife, section one
The trouble with these Jen Kingwell patterns that use a lot of scraps is my work surface looks like a bomb has gone off on it with all the strips, bits, and pieces everywhere.  As long as the parts are out, why not keep working on it?  Next thing I knew, I had Section Two together.

Gpysy Wife - Section Two
And today I wrapped up Section Three and added it to the other two.

Gypsy Wife - Status 2/26/19
I hesitate to be critical, but I feel I should advise any wannabees that as a pattern, this one leaves a LOT to one's imagination.  Definitely not a beginner project.

With that said, I'll leave you with two of today's images:

Morning view from the breakfast table

View from my sewing machine

10 comments:

  1. Once the quilt hits the border stage, it always goes to the bottom of my list! Not sure why exactly - I guess I would just rather keep making blocks forever and ever... :) I think your Gypsy Wife quilt should be renamed Butterscotch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done two Gypsy Wife quilts and one Long Time Gone … Jen Kingwell's patterns are not for the faint-of-heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made a lot of great progress on this quilt! I find that I can get a lot of quilting done too when I am procrastinating working on another one. I used to make myself work on that one, but find that because I get so much done on the other one, I might as well do that instead. You have gorgeous views from your house. I like how neat and organized you are with those labels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, Libby!! Progress on Gypsy AND two awesome nature scene photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so totally get the border dread syndrome! I finally sewed borders on to my Lattice Birds quilt, and I tell ya, it’s like having a baby! So glad the pain is over, LOL. Your Gypsy Wife is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't enjoy adding the borders to a quilt, either, but it's so close to being finished at that point that it motivates me. I'm glad you've pulled this quilt back out. I love seeing your use of neutrals with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love your blonde Gypsy Wife! Your progress looks great! With views like those, it's a wonder you can get anything done at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least you are still productive when you are procrastinating. I haven't seen a Gypsy Wife done in such lovely calm colours before and I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait a minute - in that first paragraph, were you describing yourself, or me? (I knew we were secretly sisters...)
    Love your Gypsy Wife! That's one on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you move when you are motivated! Lovely views. I'm seeing snow this morning out both windows.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.