Friday, January 18, 2019

Home Again

Another Gray Day

But brightened by the arrival of Son-1 and DIL last night!  I came home from my retreat a half-day early as the kids (ha! they are over 50) were going to be stopping through on their way to a weekend couples retreat.  Always fun to see them and we got an update on GS-1's fall wedding plans.

Now it's time for an update on my Rock Island, Rock On! retreat.  It got off to a rough start on Sunday when I forgot to pack my fridge food!  (Thank goodness I made a stop at a local grocery to pick up a few last-minute things, as I had considered waiting the 1-1/2 hours till the last Dollar General 3 miles from Rock Island State Park.)  I realized I was missing the cooler when I went to put my purchases away.  A quick 7-mile drive back home and DH was waiting in the driveway with a fully packed cooler.  What a guy!

Once the furniture was rearranged, food put away, and sewing stations set up, I decided to tackle the first and second borders for 9-Patch Bonanza.

9-Patch Bonanza
The 9-patches were leftovers from another quilt -- well, the fabric was leftover and already cut into 2.5" strips and 9Ps were an easy option to use them up.  I had assembled the center quite a while ago and had planned out the borders so I straightened up the edges, measured (several times), but couldn't wrap my brain around the math required to make the 2" squares in the second border fit!  I don't know if this had anything to to with it ...

Wine Time
Maybe a good night's sleep would help....

NOT!  On Monday I was at the point of skipping the pieced border when I did a quick measurement and it was SO close that I decided to go forward with the plan.  With a bit of stretching here and there I got it on, but now the edges are wavy so I put it away till I could give it a good press.  I did cut the final borders, though, while I had the project box out.


On Tuesday I finished up blocks for Contrary Mary.

Contrary Mary
I had kitted up these blocks several years ago and once I refreshed my memory about what I was planning, they went together quickly.  However, I again had to finagle all those HSTs to fit because this project was started on a different machine.  I think I need to start making a note about which machine I have used before I put a project in time-out.  I have no plan for what happens next; these blocks may go into the next Orphan Adoption.

By Wednesday I was ready to start something new!  Jeanne at Spiral turned me on to "Dawn to Dusk" in More Nickel Quilts.   And since I am convinced this is The Year of the Blue and White Quilt, I am working with those scraps in this quilt.

Dawn to Dusk
I love the secondary pattern that makes it look far more complex than it is. (I hope next month's RSC color is blue so I can keep going!)

On Thursday I got out another old project (also blue), "English Tiles" designed by Kaye England.  The pattern was published in an old issue of QUILT Magazine but I don't remember what edition.

English Tiles
The centers are a variation of a stacked-repeat with quarter-square triangles.  I had used this fabric to demonstrate the technique to a guild several years ago so I already had 24 of the "tiles" made.  I got all 24 framed before I had to pack up to leave.


My project box did not include a fabric for the setting triangles which will make a column, nor do I have a sashing/border fabric picked out.  This is one I hope to finish up at the next retreat in a couple of weeks where I will have space to hang a design wall.

All-in-all the retreat was a success.  Unlike some previous years, we did not have any snow.  Just rain and dreary gray skies.  And today isn't any better 😞 and tomorrow will be more of the same, only colder with icing overnight.  I know other parts of the U.S. are facing far worse conditions this weekend; I just want to see the sun again!


5 comments:

  1. Today I went back and read all the entries I had missed in the last couple of months. Thanks for all you do to inspire so many including me. So glad to call you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, LOVE that new project!! It may have to go on my To Do List.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chucked at the name of the border fabric: "WHY?" in caps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very successful retreat, you got lots done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely had a productive retreat. I really like your idea of noting what machine you use for a specific project. It's happened to me before as well. If nothing else, adding the needle placement and stitch length.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.