Thursday, January 3, 2019

3 - A Great Day!

Well, not weatherwise ...

Sunrise - I again slept till 7:30 and missed the sunrise.  Again it's been overcast and even rainy at times today so I didn't miss anything.

Wildlife - Look at what's happening all over the garden ...


We've had a relatively mild winter so far and these bulbs can't figure it out.  Seeing this photo reminds me I never cut back the peonies; I hope that doesn't adversely affect them.  I want to get some supports set up for them this year so that they don't droop onto the ground.

Kitchen - I concentrated on putting party stuff away.  Didn't feel like cooking the pork butt for BBQ and had no backup planned so 2 hours before dinner I pulled out a can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew


and resurrected an old Pillsbury contest recipe I used frequently when the kids were young.


I substitute 1 cup of Bisquick with 1 cup of milk since the can is no longer 1.5 pounds.  It's smelling delicious; I hope it tastes as good!

Quilting - It was a VERY productive day in the sewing room!  I decided I like the 3.5" center square better in my Rainbow Scrap Challenge chandelier blocks so I started over and made my monthly goal of eight!


Even though I tried to enhance my lighting, the darkest reds look black in the photo.  I pulled some fun reds out of the scrap box.

Christmas packages!
More beads on a string!
While I had the red scrap box out, I made two of Angela's Tiny Tuesday string blocks.



And since I was on a roll, I added a block of my choice to the Squared Away RSC sampler from 2018.


I hope your day was equally bountiful!

Hop over to soscrappy to see other Rainbow Scrap Challenge ideas.

14 comments:

  1. Are those daffodils coming up?! Lucky you! (Or is way too early?) We won't see those until at least February. I love your new blocks - especially that background fabric. That will be perfect with just about any scrappy center!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My peonies grow from the bulbs, so it doesn't matter if I cut them or not. All your blocks are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your beads and your strings! And the free-style Squared Away block is a winner!
    How did the pie turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you go! That chandelier block - that is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute blocks! I like the proportion of these chandelier blocks better. You certainly had a productive day playing with reds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your beef stew recipe looks so yummy. Off to a great start on your red blocks. Lots of pretty red scraps put to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your red blocks. Beautiful!
    That recipe reminds me of the old Dump Cake recipe. I hope it tasted wonderful since I plan on making it. Such comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job with the reds so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've gotten off to a good start with your RSC projects. Lots of fun reds in those blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you are off to a good start with your red scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Imagine that! Libby, going crazy on the RED scraps. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stuff coming up already???? Sheesh! I don't ever do a think with my peonies except separate them every five years or so.

    Oh, that Chandelier block is pretty fancy. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We don't have anything coming up in the garden yet, but we have things that still haven't died(lots of dianthus). Love all the red blocks you've made, especially the string blocks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.