Wednesday, January 30, 2019

I Need a Village

Chunky Churn Dash

This morning I checked to see if I have enough Chunky Churn Dash blocks from last year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge to make a flimsy.

RSC2018 - Chunky Churn Dash
The blocks will finish at 6"; I have 66 -- more of some colors (like green) than others.  I'm not crazy about the look of them set together and 66 blocks would not make a very big quilt.  Time to think about a simple setting.

I found the pattern on Bonnie Hunter's blog Quiltville's Quips & Snips.  She used alternate quarter-square blocks to set hers, so I perused my stash to see what I had at least 1.25 yds of.  (My 7th grade English teacher just rolled over in her grave ... ending with a preposition.)


I'm thinking the dark gray is too dominant.  I also think I would like the CCD blocks set on point. 


What say you?


8 comments:

  1. I like the dark grey and I like both settings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the dark gray. Either setting looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the on point setting better - it features the stars created by the dark grey triangles. If this makes the stars too much of a focal point for you (don't want to overshadow those CCDs) then greys of closer values for the alternate blocks would make the stars less obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, like the on point better. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. On point and both shades of gray

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the grays fine, but do not like the on point setting. I think you get that on-point look with the alternate block. It’s a great match!

    ReplyDelete
  7. CCD is a great block for RSC and scraps in general. The first Block Swappers swap, back in 2005? 06? was for CCD blocks. I set them with hourglass blocks, was flummoxed with how to quilt them, and eventually gave the flimsy away. (I'd know how to quilt them now.) A couple of years later I used homespuns to make CCD blocks in a True Lover's Know setting. That is still my favorite everyday quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.