Monday, January 7, 2019

Hand-Pieced Quilt-Along

As promised, this morning Patty/Elm Street Quilts and Kristen/Simple. Handmade. Everyday. revealed the project for their hand-pieced quilt-along.  Nine simple blocks, each developing a new skill or building on previously learned skills.  The first tutorial will be posted on January 21 so there is still time to jump on board, assemble some fabric, and dig out your tools.



One of my goals for 2019 is to use a dark background in a quilt so I decided this would be the project to try it on.  


The speckled brown will be my background.  I have tried to match the remaining fabrics to the speckles, keeping them on the light side for good contrast.  I've also tried to vary the value for those blocks that will need more than one color fabric.  The finished project will be less than a yard square so I think it is worth the risk. 

Sunrise -  Spectacular!  My photos can't do it justice.

Sunrise - Jan 7, 2019
Wildlife - Otters!  While photographing the sunrise I heard an unfamiliar sound coming from the lake.

Otter pair

Life is good!



6 comments:

  1. I always spend too much time at the sea otter display in any zoo/acquarium that has them. I love them... how great to get a photo of your 'wild' ones.
    Yes, I too am looking seriously at trying this QAL...lovely fabrics you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunrise and otters! What a delight. I will pass on the hand-piecing, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Libby! I loved your sunrise picture! I'm excited to join in this QAL - in fact, I will admit to being disappointed that there wasn't a block to work on today. (Poor me...:) Your fabric choices are so pretty! It will be fun to see what people do for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. But at least seeing the end boosted my confidence in my fabric choices.

      Delete
  4. You got a better sunrise photo today than I did! My cell phone just can't capture the depth of color for some reason. :o((

    Oh! About that QAL... I love you, Libby, but this is NOT one that I will be joining you in doing. Hand piecing. is. NOT. My thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not going to be able to play along, so I'll just enjoy watching your project come together.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.