Monday, January 28, 2019

Devo and Sew

Dear Jane

As I approach my 1-year anniversary in the Glade at the end February, I am reflecting on how a little sewing group has eased the transition for me.  Jane, a local blog reader reached out to me in my first weeks here and invited me to come to their church-based sewing group.  I was warmly received and a year later I still look forward to the twice-monthly sewing sessions with a pot-luck salad lunch and devotional thrown in.

Unlike a guild, there is no formal "Show and Tell."  Instead, we just lay finished (or nearly finished) projects out on the gym floor to be admired and studied.


Sometimes this is where borders are auditioned or other design decisions are made.  You know, it takes a village ...

The above photo is exciting for me because it includes two of my donated tops that Jane quilted.

Burgundy and Brie
This One Block Wonder will be going to a young girl who is in the hospital waiting for a lung transplant.  It doesn't show in this photo, but Jane used gold thread in an all-over swirly pattern that just sparkles against the burgundy background.

Shooting Stars
This Wink & a Smile variation will be going to a very ill gentleman.  (I don't remember what his condition is.)  Jane worked stars into the quilting on this one.

Not only is Jane talented with the longarm, she's a great piecer, too!

Jack's Chain - by Jane
I've been wanting to make Jack's Chain for a long time but I've only seen it at a small scale.  I might be able to handle it at this larger scale!  And here's another of Jane's beauties.

Way West - by Jane
I had to take the photo from the side; the arrows really point west!  I love this idea for sampler or orphan blocks.

So that's just a little bit about our little group with big hearts.  And since we haven't seen the sun in a while, I'll share last night's sunset over Lake Dartmoor.

Sunset - 1/27/19

5 comments:

  1. These are all beautiful quilts with such intricate piecing! Kudos to you and your group for donating them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Libby what lovely quilts but even better to be enjoying them in the company of kind, like minded women!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you've found a group of women who you enjoy so much! That's so important, even when we have great hubbies and families. I enjoyed seeing your finished quilts - they are beautiful! I've been both interested in and intimidated by the Jack's Chain pattern - it's such an amazing design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice that you found a group of kindred spirits. It's hard to believe you've been in your new home for almost a year. Your quilts are gorgeous and I love Jane's "Jack's Chain". That is on my list of quilts to make, too. Happy Binding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am proud to say Jane is my friend also! Wish I lived closer so I could sew with you all. Love the quilt show!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.