Sunday, January 6, 2019

A Conundrum


Grandson-1 recently proposed to his long-time girlfriend and a wedding date has been set for early October.  I hadn't factored a wedding quilt into my 2019 plan!  It will have to be throw size for sure.  They are a modern/minimalist young couple so I took a look at some available options this morning, one of them being a panel kit I purchased when I first got into my "modern" phase.


Here's the conundrum:  that panel is printed allover wonky.



I can't let them think this is the quality of my workmanship!  So I'm thinking about cutting the small panels into straight squares -- they'd finish at about 7" -- and then adding my own black sashing.  The kit included companion fabrics for a series of borders.

On the other hand, would this be copping out on my first grandson?  I think they deserve better.

And while you're thinking about that, enjoy this morning's sunrise.


5 comments:

  1. Ok..here's my 2 cents worth... take the panel and cut the squares out ... add some black sashing... maybe some contrasting cornerstones... quilt it... you grandson and grand daughter in law to be will love it. I think we are far too critical of our work. I'm sure they are lovely kids but they probably know nothing about quilting and what is "expected"... they will appreciate the gift but have no clue how it came into being. You aren't copping out at all. I think this panel will be greatly improved by your touch. I know you are thinking "I didn't piece those blocks"... think of them as great focal fabrics that you wouldn't cut up... don't think about how you could piece them...because no one else is going to think that. The couple probably has no idea what pieceing is.... ok... I'll climb down off the soap box... Do whatever makes you happy but don't feel guilty about it. hugs - carol fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carol! And bright cornerstones could make it a real knockout quilt. Add a special label and maybe piece one or two blocks into the back? It’s the love and thought that counts, and non-quilters don’t know how much time you spent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Carol's suggestion to cut the panel into squares and use them as focal fabric. Maybe find a pattern that features a large scale focal fabric and modify it to fit. I like the idea of adding a color, too, in the cornerstones or somewhere. Whatever you decide, I'm sure your GS and his bride will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with all the previous comments, the panel will work well as focus blocks. Maybe you can add a pieced border to jazz it up a bit if you feel it's lean on piecing? Square in a square blocks in black, grey, and neutrals would mimic the theme of the center squares and wouldn't take too long to make. You could make them all with the square in the center, or you could make it so that the square "moves" around in the block, like it does in the center squares. You could even mix up squares with rectangles in the border, that would match up with the blocks in the panel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a similar thing with a panel. The squares were all a bit wonky so I cut them up squared and intentionally sashed them even wonkier to make it a feature. Then added borders. https://www.reddeliciouslife.com/2016/10/the-cats-meow-friday-finish.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.