Tuesday, December 4, 2018

The Party's Over

The secret can be revealed

Remember that pile of secret sewing I showed a couple of weeks ago?


Now that the party is over, the secret can be revealed.  I was making party favors for the Devo and Sew Christmas party.  It's rice-filled handwarmers!


The idea came from the December issue of BH&G Christmas Quilts and More magazine.

Simply warm in the microwave on high for about 15-20 seconds.
They stay warm long enough to walk to the mailbox or walk the dog.
And if you have arthritis or carpal tunnel in your hands like I do,
a warm one will relieve some of the numbness.

I started with flannel rectangles 3-1/2" x 4", placed right sides together.  I stitched 1/4 inch from the edge around all 4 sides, leaving an opening big enough to put a funnel into.  I trimmed the corners to reduce bulk before I turned them inside out.


Using a chopstick, I gently poked out the corners.


The hardest part for me was keeping hold of the fabric while balancing the funnel I used to fill them.


I used a generous 1/4 cup of rice in each one.


I tried using 1/3 cup of rice, but it made the closing process more difficult.

Because I needed to make a minimum of 20 pairs, and time was flying, 
I opted to close the opening by machine.
I placed the needle close to the edge to guarantee I would catch the whole seam.


Even though a hand finish would have been neater, I think the machine stitching is more secure.


I did have to be careful to shake all the rice to the bottom before stitching.
Even then, I still stitched a few grains of rice!
I was able to fill 22 pairs of handwarmers with 5 pounds of cheap rice.

Everyone went home with a pair!
Can you believe I forgot to take a picture of the happy recipients?

7 comments:

  1. Very nice. I have a box of dried cherry pits (ordered on line believe it or not). Martha Stewart suggests using them for hand warmers or heating pads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea! (And you got to bust some flannel stash!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous gift idea!! I made a neck warmer last year for my DH. The leftover flax seeds were used to fill a foot warmer for me. We LOVE them and your guests will, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how nice! I could use those in my house as I freeze in the winter time. Great little gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever! And very much appreciated by your friends, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Libby! You just gave me a great idea for the few who meet at my house on Thursdays! Well done tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful day at your house. Thanks again for hosting.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.